Wearing that new dress, on a first date, on a night out with the girls, or on that boardroom presentation, there is always a perfect time to wear that perfect shade of red lipstick. Whether you trying to make a statement or be seductive, you can never go wrong.
Finding the perfect shade of red lipstick is like discovering your super-power or a magic wand, with the ability to turn the simplest look into a jaw-dropping, runway-worthy look.
“A red lipstick is a classic trend that can never go out of style”
Women over decades and centuries have acknowledged the power of red lipstick undeniably. Its potency has been endorsed by queens, movie stars, heroines, etc. throughout history.
From once being taboo and scandalous into a widely accepted synonymous of Beauty, confidence, and sophistication.
On the flip side a lot of women think red lipsticks are meant for models, movie stars, or women with lighter skin tone and dread the idea of wearing red lipstick because of the confidence, boldness, and courage associated, and speaking from a personal experience, the fear is real. Also finding the perfect shade of red lipstick is no work in the park, making a lot of women ask can I pull this off. The truth is that anyone can.
“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants – Coco Chanel”
Thanks to the inclusivity of beauty brands like Fenty Beauty, Lancôme, MAC, and Blackup which are available at Essenza, and praised for their ability to cater to a wide range of skin tones, finding the right shade of red lipstick is no longer a problem. Here is a quick recommendation of lipsticks you should try
LANCOME L’ABSOLU ROUGE DRAMA INK
L'Absolu Rouge Drama Ink is a liquid lipstick with a highly pigmented, comfortable, and semi-matte formula. The ultra-thin, weightless lip ink leaves lips saturated in vibrant color for all-day wear, after just one swipe. The patented curved applicator ensures ultimate precision without a liner and won’t feather or bleed.
The semi-matte liquid lipstick formula is infused with Rose Extract, which leaves your lips feeling soft, nurtured, and comfortable all day long.
The collection consists of 13 high-impact lipstick colors. Suitable for a range of skin tones.
This lip tint formula features an oil-in-water innovation with squalene, in a range of vibrant shades. Hydrates instantly and all day, feather- & bleed-resistant, Locks in moisture & conditions lips to leave them feeling soft & smooth, goes on glossy—leaves behind a soft tint and customizable, sheer-to-medium coverage.
A weightless, long-wear liquid lipstick with a soft matte finish—born in a range of head-turning shades that look incredible on all skin tones. Rihanna created a range of 8 head-turning, high-impact shades that look incredible on everyone the long-lasting matte pigment is so weightless, that you might even forget you're wearing it.
So now let's work on that red lipstick phobia.
The secret to overcoming the lipstick phobia is knowing how to wear it, the right way, keep reading to see tips/tricks to slaying your red lipstick;
- Picking the right shade: This is very important to beat the red lipstick phobia and it is okay to ask for help at this point. Work into any Essenza store and consult our Beauty advisor/artist, you get to try out different shades of red lipstick from different brands to find the perfect match.
- Pick the finish, texture, or formula that suits you: Remember to pick the formula or finish you are most comfortable with. You can choose between matte, glossy, sheer, cream, and liquid lipstick, also don't forget to try them all out to find the one you are most comfortable with.
- Scrub that lip: Exfoliating your lips can help eliminate some of the dry, flaking skin that build up and immediately restore, shine, softness, and smoothness making your lipstick look better and last longer. You can also incorporate other lip products like lip oils, lip primer, etc. to improve the appearance of your lip.
- Outline your lips with a highlighter: To make your lips really pop, apply a lighter concealer/highlighter with a small brush and gently blend out for a natural look. This will draw attention to your lips and create a great contrast between the red of your lips and the natural tone of your skin.
- Add a lip liner: if you want to prevent your lipstick from bleeding or feathering, use a lip pencil to line your lips especially if you are going for a glossy lip before application. This would also make your lip sculpting more precise.
- Keep the rest of your makeup subtle: Red lipstick is a statement piece, almost an accessory. As such, it is important to keep the rest of your makeup toned down to create the right balance.
Author: Maryjane Nwokiwu